Monday, July 6, 2009

Chapter 9

Mattie's POV

Carlie and I headed down to training shortly after the guys left. She was in a much better mood then I would have thought; I was expecting her to be much more subdued after last night. Almost like she was on a sugar high, I could hardly keep up with her as we headed down to the rinks. She was a few paces ahead of me, bouncing more than walking; she turned around and grinned at me, finally noticing that I wasn't keeping up. "Come on, we're gonna be late!" She laughed, reaching out to take my hand as she pulled me along beside her. She started talking cheerfully about this weekend, and all the time off we had; but I was unable to pay much attention her. Luckily she was too excited to notice my lack of answers.
As I staired down at her hand, intertwined with mine, I allowed myself to wonder for the first time if Marty was right. Maybe she did really love me back, and she just didn't know it yet. She did seem in much better spirits since we made up...

"So... what are we doing tonight?" I asked, stopping her before she could push the door open.

"Oh..." she said, startled, her brow crinkling up as she thought something over. "Actually, I kind of have a date... so I guess nothing too special... I probably won't be back till 8:30 or 9." She smiled up at me, oblivious to the look of shock that had crossed over my face. "We could probably hit up the guitar hero then if you want... oh! or we could watch Stepbrothers! We haven't seen that in a long time."

"Mmmmhmmmm..." I nodded, keeping my mouth closed. My mind was racing. How does she have a date? With who? What am I suppose to do?

"Hey Carlie, you coming in?" Jake asked, pushing open the door behind her. "Oh hey Mattie..." he added, his eyes falling down to look at her hand, which was still holding mine. "Ah, sorry if I'm interrupting anything..." He said slowly, walking out to stand beside us.

"Oh no! We were just making plans for what we were going to do after you and I got back from dinner." She answered, still holding onto my hand. Jake and I both looked at each other, he looked like he wanted to punch me; I felt like I wanted to punch him. We stood for a while stairing each other down, Carlie oblivious in between us.

Jake cleared his throat, "We should go... Carlie."

"Oh!" She said dropping my hand, "we're probably late!" With that she turned on her heel and ran through the doorway, waving goodbye to me over her shoulder. Jake watched her leave, then turned and shot me one last dirty look before following her through the door. God I hate him!

Okay, so that wasn't totally fair.
I thought again, after all he did talk to me this morning and he did get Carlie to come back to the room... but still, what an ass! I sighed and went through the door, heading down to rink C.


After training I went up to Carrol and Marty's room, not wanting to watch Carlie get ready for her date with Jake. They were both already there; Carrol watching some hockey videos on youtube, Marty talking on the phone with his girlfriend. I flopped down on Carrol's vacant bed and sighed. After waiting a minute and not having either of them take any notice of me, I let out an even bigger sigh.
Carrol started to laugh and finally turned his attention to me. "Problem Mattie?"

"She's going on a date with him." I spat the last word.

"Babe, I'm gonna have to let you go alright? ...yah... I'll give you a call later, love you." Marty said into his phone, before he set it down and sat up to face me. "Well, what are you gonna do about it?"

"What am I suppose to do about it? She already made the plans... she's getting ready now."

"You could go tell her you don't want her to go..." Carrol suggested, shrugging his shoulders. "If you told her why, she'd probably stay."

"I don't want her to stay because she feels bad for me... or because I ruined her night-"

"We're not saying that's why you should tell her Mattie... I mean, think about it from her point of view. What if she really does love you? What if she starts dating this Jake guy, then finds out that you liked her all along? What kind of a position does that put her in?"

I sighed, putting my hands over my face. I normally didn't cry, ever; but lately it seemed like I couldn't help myself. "I just don't think I can..."

"Shit, I gotta go for a sec... I'll be back in a bit." Marty sighed, getting off his bed, "you stay here." He warned, pointing at me.

Marty's POV


Don't send a boy to do a man's job,
I sighed as I made my way down the stairs. I already knew the way to Jake's room, having gone there earlier in the week with Consti. I hoped this conversation wouldn't be as stressful, but then again, it was probably going to be worse. I sighed again as I knocked on his door.
His roommate answered, he took one look at me and then went to shut the door, I held out my hand and stopped it easily. "I need to talk to Jake man..." He glared at me and put more force on the door. I continued to hold my hand out, hardly noticing the increase in pressure. "This isn't like last time... for real." He continued to size me up, before shaking his head and walking back into the room. I followed, just in time to see Jake walk out of his bathroom.

"What do you want?" He stopped, giving me yet another dirty glare. Good think looks can't kill... I laughed to myself.

"I need to talk to you."

"Yah, didn't we already do that? Look... whatever you say, I'm going with Carlie so... you're wasting your time."

"I didn't come here to tell you not to go." I replied simply.

He watched me for a minute, deciding whether or not I was telling the truth. Finally he sighed, "Fine, what do you want then?"

"I want to talk to you."

"Ummm, I gotta go and... I'll just... I'll be back in a bit." His roommate said, getting up and walking quickly out of the room.

Jake sat down on one of the beds, "Alright, go."

"Don't you even want to know why we said those things to you?"

"Well, I figure it's cause... you don't want me going out with Carlie..."

"Obviously... don't you want to know why though?"

"I don't know... over protective friends?"

"She's in love with Mattie."

He folded his arms over her chest. "Naw, I don't think so." He started shaking his head. "It's obvious that your boys' in love with her but, if she loved him she'd be with him."

I started laughing, "So, you've never noticed how Carlie tends to... oh I don't know... how she tends to not notice 99% of the things that go on around her when she's off the ice?"

He continued to stare at me, and I knew this conversation was a lost cause. "Alright, I'll go. I just wanted to let you know, we did what we did because Mattie's a good guy... he's spent his whole life trying to pluck up the courage to tell Carlie how he feels." I got up and walked over to the door. "She does love him though, you know? I hope you remember that when she's out with you. She should be with him, not you." I closed the door behind me before he could say anything, and I made my way back upstairs.

Carlie's POV

I was bouncing around my room in what felt like the hundreth outfit that I'd tried on, waiting on Jake and wondering where Mattie was. I was a nervous wreck. Normally I would rely on Mattie to calm me down but unfortunitly he was MIA.
I continued to bounce around the room until a knock at the door caused my heart to skip a beat. I quickly opened the door and saw Jake, standing there in a pair of fitted jeans and a navy button down shirt.
"Wow!" he said, the shock evident on his face as he took in my outfit for the first time. I smiled to myself at his reaction and made a mental note to thank my cousin Jossie for making me buy it last summer. "So... you ready?" he asked, still standing in the doorway.

"Yah! Just let me leave a note for Mattie... I'm not sure where he is..." I trailed off, looking for a pen and something to write on. I quickly found a notepad and scribbled: Gone out to eat, be back soon! Love you, C.C. xox
I tac'd the piece of paper to the bulletion boared above the desk, and turned back to Jake. He was giving my note a hard stare, but he quickly adjusted his face into a smile and followed me out the door.

Dinner was slightly awkward, never having been on a date before I wasn't really sure how to act. I tried to be cool and act like this wasn't new to me, but I was pretty sure he saw through me. Jake seemed very distant, he wasn't talking to much; he just watched me alot. When we were done we headed straight back to the dorms, remaining quiet on the walk. We stopped outside the door, Jake staring at me once again.
"Umm... so thanks for taking me out tonight." I said, rocking back and forth on my feet. He nodded and continued to watch me. "I guess, I should go find my friends... they're probably wondering where we are."

"Are you in love with him?" He asked suddenly, still gazing intently at me.

"I'm sorry what?" I said taking a step back, completely at a loss as to what he was talking about.

"Are you in love with him?" He asked again, annoyed.

"Who?"

"Mattie?" He gave a sharp, mocking laugh, like this was 100% obvious.

"No! He's my best friend... and why would you ask me this when I'm suppose to be on a date with you?"

He leaned back against the wall and finally looked away from me. "He's in love with you... do you know that?"

"No he's not-"

"Yah he is." He cut me off harshly. "Everyone here knows it. Everyone thought I was mental for getting involved in this but, I just thought you didn't like him like that. But obviously you really didn't know..."

"Look Jake I don't know what you're talking about..."

"Marty came to my room again, to tell me why Consti did what he did... it's cause Mattie's in love with you and they're trying to keep you single until he gets the balls to tell you."

"You're being crazy... you know that right?" I said, getting annoyed finally. I couldn't believe he was acting like this on our date.

"Carlie, I like you, and I think you're great. I really hope we stay friends... but I just can't start something with someone when they're in love with someone else. I thought I'd give it a shot, maybe you'd come out with me and realize that you really like me... but I just don't see that happening right now." He trailed off... turning to leave.

"So, I guess this is... goodnight?" I asked sarcastically.

"Please don't be mad, maybe I didn't handle this in the best way possible but... I promise I mean well? If that counts for anything..." He walked through the doors, leaving me standing on the steps, alone.

What the hell just happened? I asked to myself, turning away from the dorms and walking. I was so wrapped up in my thoughts that I didn't even realize how far my feet had taken me. It was totally dark out now, and I was on the otherside of campus. I sighed, deciding I should head back in... Mattie was probably worried.
Half way back I couldn't bring myself to go any furthur. I opted to sit on a nearby bench and try to clear my head.
Mattie? Really... as if that's even possible I mean... we're just friends. I don't even like him like that at all... right? Sure he's cute, and nice, and funny, and sweet, and he's always there for me... always watching out for me. I guess he's attractive... oh! and I love waking up beside him... he's so cute when he sleeps.
I let my thoughts run away from me for a bit, sighing to myself as I leaned back on the bench; watching the stars.
It would never happen though, I mean... he probably likes someone else anyway. Not that she'd be good enough for him... I started trying to picture the type of girl Mattie would want to date. Probably some blonde bimbo... cheerleader or something... bitch. My breath caught in my throat as I felt a sharp stab of jealousy hit me. Ok, did I really just get jealous over someone I made up? That's probably not a good sign... but, why wouldn't he want me... I mean, I know him better than anyone...
Oh...My...God.
I do like Mattie... I'm in love with Mattie.
It felt like I had jumped into a pool of ice cold water. My lungs felt tight and I was suddenly wide awake. Everything hit me at once. Of course Mattie loved me, what type of guy drives across town to save you from the spider in your room? What kind of guy holds you when you cry? Or knows exactly what you need to hear? Who else but the guy that loves you would give up everything to spend time with you... hold your hand when you walked, or skip the HIM concert they'd been waiting for all year, to stay home and make you chicken noodle soup cause your sick?
I pushed myself off the bench and ran as fast as I could back to the dorms. I flew through the door and down the darkened hallway. I stopped to look in at the rec room, which was almost empty; Consti and a handful of people were watching a movie. "Consti!" I yelled, getting the attention of everyone in the room "Where's Mattie?!"

He stared at me for a miunte, obviously wondering what was wrong with me. "He's... probably asleep, he had a rough night..."

"A rough night... cause I'm an idiot?" I asked, realizing I was out of breath.

"... what?"

"He had a rough night cause I was out with Jake... cause I'm stupid!"

"... ok... see you tomorrow?" He turned his attention back to the movie, glancing every now and then at me. Consti was never the best for serious conversations.

"Yah... I gotta talk to Mattie, now!" I shouted over my shoulder. Consti looked dumb-struck but I could have sworn I saw him smile before I rounded the corner.

1 comment:

  1. YES! REALIZATION HITS. And based on what she said Mattie is like the most awesome guy ever. So sweet and kind and...YAY!!!

    ReplyDelete