Saturday, August 8, 2009

Chapter 16

I had no idea how I’d managed to fall asleep.

Mattie was sprawled out next to me, I could feel him sleeping soundly; I could hear Consti still snoring. My heart was pounding through my chest as I lay in bed, I knew that I’d never be able to stop the adrenaline that was no pumping through my system. I took a few deep breaths, trying to bring my heart-rate under control as I glanced over at the clock. 4:37AM, Well fuck…
I sighed and threw my legs over the side off the bed. I grabbed a pair of Pilates’ pants off the back of the computer chair and pulled my hair back into a pony-tail; moving as softly as I could manage. I took one last look at Consti and Mattie before slipping quietly out into the darkened hallway.

I jogged off towards the gym, taking the long way. I could still feel my heart pumping hard, more from nerves than the actual workout I was getting. I pushed my legs faster as I reached the gym, instead of going inside though I ran past it; there was no way it’d be open before 5 anyway.

I let my mind wander over the events of yesterday and what was to come today. Today was Saturday, the finals were to start tonight at 7pm. My team, team number one, would be playing against Jake’s team, team number 5.
As it stood, my team was the only team that hadn’t lost a game yet; and I wasn’t planning on starting tonight. Not only did the championship and upping the chances on making Team USA rest on the outcome of this game, but there were going to be scouts here tonight… NHL training camp scouts.
I tired not to let that bother me too much. I had played infront of scouts before. This time though, this time was going to be different. This time I actually had a reason to play my best, I was trying to get a spot on Team USA; if I managed that, who’s to say I wouldn’t get an invite to the NHL camp?



“You can do this… just remember to breath.” I wasn’t sure how Mattie had managed to sneak into the dressing room, but I wasn’t going to complain. “You haven’t lost with this team, ever, and the last time you played team 5 you crushed them. You can do it again.”

I sighed and looked around the room. Mattie and I were off in the corner; the rest of my team were sitting on the dressing room benches, preparing for the game of our lives. “I know, I know…” I replied quietly, trying to convince myself as much as I was trying to appease Mattie.

“Alright guys, we need to head out there…” Aaron called out after checking his watch.

“Guess that includes me… wish me luck.” I pulled Mattie into a hug.

“I would, but you don’t need it babe.” He smiled down at me and kissed me on the lips before leaving quickly through the side door. I let out another sigh, pull it together Carlie.


I skated out to centre ice to take the first faceoff, searching for Mattie’s face in the crowd. I found him, next to Marty and the rest of the guys, sitting behind our net. He gave me a weak smile and I grimaced back. I had never been more nervous for a game ever, I knew my only chance at not allowing my fear to cripple me was to try and play this game like it was any other.



The bodies were thick in front of the net. My skates, sped by adrenaline, turned quickly and sliced down the middle of the ice. I turned away fast, nearly stumbling over the stick of a defenseman before taking the puck on my stick and charging back towards the main group. A slap shot fell short and I hurtled around to try and stop the puck. Someone sent the puck back up to our end; I pushed off after it. I grabbed it behind my team’s net, and sped back down the ice towards the other net.
A stick caught me on my shin and I skidded down onto my knees, never loosing control of the puck. The defence came up hard; but I was faster. From my knees I sent the puck spiralling into the five-hole, goal one.

A twist, a feign, a turn, then a second had the defence turning ever-which-way as I boar down on the goalies unprotected left side; goal two sent his water bottle flying.

Rushing out to the goalies left, turning right to slash across the crease at Aaron. He sent the puck spinning into the cross-bar. A forward grabbed the puck and took it back off to our end. I pursued him, catching up to him easily. The other teams defence tried to slow me as I brought the puck out of my end. I saw the guy, his eyes locked on me. Within a second I sent the puck off the ice and leaped up and forward; hitting him with my shoulder, squarely in the chest. We both fell but it didn’t matter. Aaron found a weak spot above the goalies blocker; goal three.

The third period was a done deal. We were winning 3-0 with 2 minutes left in the game.
A flip of my wrist; a reverse slap shot; my hat-trick took the game to 4-0.


My team-mates and I partied long into the night. It was an exhausting win, but a great win none-the-less. I couldn’t believe that we had dominated the play so bad; couldn’t believe that we had managed to shut Jack down. Jack had been my main competition at the camp, a fact we both knew. He was a great player and I could still hardly believe that we were able to win the championship so easily.

“I need to pack Carlie, tomorrow’s the last day and we’re suppose to take our luggage down with us…” Mattie was behind me, talking in my ear, trying to be heard over the loud music that was surrounding us. I glanced over at the clock on the wall.

“Oh! Sorry Mattie I didn’t realize it was after 3!” I laughed at how quickly the time had flown since the end of the game. I grabbed his hand and moved towards the door of the rec room.

“No! No, you stay here, I can throw your stuff in.”

“Mattie, you don’t have to pack for me.”

“Babe, you just won the championship… with a hat-trick.” He laughed and shook his head, “You stay here and celebrate I’ll throw your stuff in your suitcase too.” He silenced my protest by covering my mouth with his hand. “It’ll take ten minutes and then I’ll come right back… promise.” He removed his hand and gave me a quick kiss before heading off down the hall.



Mattie’s POV


I couldn’t help but chuckle to myself on the way down to our room. If anyone had had any doubts left about Carlie they were gone after her performance tonight. Not only had she dominated the game and won it; she had done so with a hat-trick and an assist. On top of that I was feeling pretty smug myself. After having a quick chat with some of the training staff I was confident I’d be heading to Russia myself.
I threw open our door and laughed at the mess. It really hadn’t looked this bad this morning… at least, I didn’t think it did.
I grabbed all of Constis’ stuff off his bed and packed it into his bag for him. My stuff was all in the corner so I grabbed it and pilled it back into my suitcase. I looked back around the room at Carlie’s stuff and laughed again. How could someone so small make such a huge mess? I sighed and started shoving stuff back into her bag.

After a few minutes I looked around the room; it was all clear. I pilled the suitcase up in the corner for tomorrow morning. I also took the liberty of grabbing some pop cans and chip bags off the floor and putting them in the garbage. A last look around the room and I spotted a few more pieces of garbage on the floor. I sighed and started picking them up too. I glanced them over before throwing them in the garbage. Schedule, movie stub, another schedule, receipt… the last small piece of paper caught my attention. I was a small square of cardstock; I turned it over in my hands.

Carlie, was just thinking about you. Wanted to say good luck and I can’t wait to see you in Russia… Always yours,

I stopped reading and turned the card over in my hands twice more before reading it again. Just thinking about you… maybe he was just having a conversation with someone about the only girl to be invited to try out for Team USA… yah… that’s probably it.
Wanted to say good luck… that’s pretty innocent. Can’t wait to see you in Russia… maybe he likes Russia? Maybe he’s going there with friends to watch the game? Always yours… ummm… standard goodbye? Sure, why not…

I read the name again, it sounded familiar but I had never heard Carlie mention him; hell, she’d never mentioned anyone to us… ever. God, that sounds familiar though…
I held the card out in front me, looking up in thought. One of the random posters plastered on the walls caught my attention and I read the name again. “No fucking way…”

I flopped down on the bed, still holding the card in my hands. I couldn’t take my eyes off the poster and I continued to hold the card. “No fucking way…” I said again, trying to deny the obvious. She would have mentioned if she dated a pro hockey player… Ugh! He’s above my bed… our bed…
“No,” I shook my head, still staring at his face. “No… there’s lots of people out there with that name… shit! Who am I kidding. No there’s not. What the fuck?!” I threw the tiny card into the garbage.

Okay, it’s okay. Carlie would have mentioned this if it was a big deal. She’d never, never do anything to hurt me so I have nothing to worry about.
Well… a pro hockey player is sending my girlfriend cards… but no biggie, she’s with me and I trust her.
How could she have forgotten to mention this to us? To me?
Hmmm… think… did she ever say anything about this? No… this I would have remembered.
Come on Mattie… think… ’By the way, one of the penguins likes me…?’ No… can’t say that happened. I looked up at his smug smile again. Fuck!
Oh shit… the seats! She said she won a contest for Pen season tickets right behind the bench. Ugh! There was no contest… he probably gave them to her… oh shit…
Well that doesn’t matter, she’s with me. If she wanted to be with him she would be and she’s not so… no big deal.
If it WAS a big deal she would have put this in a safe place to save it, not disregarded it like that… yah… she didn’t care about him.

Why didn’t she tell me though?!
Cause if she told me I’d freak out.
And she doesn’t like him so… there’s no reason for me to freak out…
Unless she’s trying to hide the fact that she likes him too.
FUCK!
No… that’s not true she doesn’t like him, I have to trust her. Without trust in a relationship what do you have?
If she didn’t want to tell me she has her reasons and I need to have faith in her.

I pushed myself off the bed and headed out of the room, stopping before I opened the door. I turned back around to see the Pittsburgh Penguin forward smiling at me from across the room. “Get your own fucking girlfriend!” I spat before I walked into the hallway, slamming the door behind me.

5 comments:

  1. Ahh!! Not good! I totally wasn't expecting that.. can't wait to see where you take this or what happens.

    Great, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so, as I was reading Carlie's POV, all I could think about was how sweet Mattie is and how I wanted one (even though I'm pretty sure that would be illegal in every country, since he's still so young). But then I knew he was going to find the card, I just KNEW it! I'm so upset for him because he's so torn up about it. Carlie has some 'splaining to do! I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. first of all, WOO!!!! UPDATE =D

    && second omg, completely unexpected! i feel so bad for Mattie, but this is such a juicy turn of events. i absolutely adore it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHA!!! Oh dear... Mattie's not gonna be happy with Carlie! Haha figures Sid would be involved somehow.

    Awesome chapter

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking the exact same thing as Jay. As soon as he got to the room and was packing I'm like "Oh crap he's gunna find the card". What Pen is it, I'm leaning toward it being Geno...

    At least Mattie wasn't jumping to conclusions, although he was kind of in denial...

    ReplyDelete